Tuesday, January 11, 2011

My first post!

Hi everyone!

I figured it would make sense to do one post before I leave for Morocco. Today, we drove from Charleston to Pittsburgh and the weather wasn't exactly ideal. The snow poured for most of our trip and the roads were pretty bad but luckily we made it safe and sound. The picture below doesn't look too bad, but the storm was pretty intense!



We are staying in a hotel on the outskirts of Pittsburgh tonight and I will fly out tomorrow afternoon. My plane departs for Washington, DC around 2 PM and from there, I will fly to Madrid. After a short layover, I will be off to Casablanca to begin my Moroccan adventures. From Casablanca, I will be riding two trains until I get to Fez, where I will be picked up by a van from the university.

I am re-arranging some of my suitcases and attempting to downsize and pack lighter, a feat I've never conquered in the past. The photo below shows a few of the items I have bought and been given for my trip.




In the upper left hand corner, I have a French phrasebook. It features useful phrases like "Y a-t-il una salle d'opera?" Translation: Is this an opera house? Hopefully, it will be useful if I have basic questions and need a quick translation while I travel. The Fodor's Morocco Travel Guide has been incredibly helpful and has allowed me to learn more about various destinations in Morocco and the sites to visit in each. It also includes important information pertaining to cultural customs and practices in Morocco. I was excited to hear mint tea is often served with meals in Morocco (mint tea = love :). In the back is my lovely pink elephant, Darwin.

The Aveeno Sunscreen was also a must-have for this trip. I must preserve my pastiness while abroad. Hopefully, 30 SPF is sufficient! My passport is an obvious necessity as well. Next, I included some Moroccan currency, which I purchased from AAA in Charleston. I bought 600 dirhams, which is equivalent to about $86 in the United States. The money will cover my train tickets once I get off of the plane in Casablanca. If only I could read the Arabic written on the bills. Luckily, there are numbers for clueless Americans like me.

My sister Laura bought me Arabic for Dummies for Christmas, which I haven't had a chance to use yet, but should be helpful. I also bought a French tutorial CD, which also came with a USB and SD card with recorded French lessons. I also packed two journals, which I hope to write in regularly during my study abroad experience. Thank you for the wood-covered diary, Rachel! On top of the red journal is a AAA travel debit card. For Christmas, my Mom bought me an international outlet adapter. I'm not sure if I will need it or not, but figured it couldn't hurt to bring. Finally, I packed lots of Band-Aids and neosporin. Anyone who knows me well knows that I am THE most accident prone/clumsy person ever. Don't worry guys, I am prepared!

I look forward to sharing my experiences on this blog. I promise the pictures will be more exciting once I actually arrive in Morocco! Special thanks to Steven and Katie, both of whom studied at AUI and have been incredibly helpful. Steven, I'm sure you're ready to kill me at this point, but I really appreciate all of your advice.  I hope everyone is having a wonderful new year!

7 comments:

  1. !مع سلامة
    I hope you will have fun in Morocco! People will often be happy to help you practice/learn Arabic....especially cab drivers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool blog! Can't wait to read more, and I'm glad you made it safe to Pittsburgh. Love you and enjoy yourself! I am so glad you got to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i miss you already ayundayyyy! lol im glad you have this blog casue i feel like its a phonecall update!! :) make that yahoo account so we can text!

    ReplyDelete
  4. K - Have a wonderful trip adn explore everythign that you can. I've never been to that part of the world, but we are talking about going there in the fall - so we'll be reading your postings all the time to get clues on Morocco.

    love - Wells

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you have an awesome time! I miss you soooo much and can't wait to read about your adventures!! I can teach you the French alphabet on skype. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katherine, I am so excited that you are going to the Magreb. I will send you the names of my contacts in Fes, including the headmaster of the Lycee Moulay Idriss where I taught in 1968. He welcomed me back and gave me a tour in 2005! I wish I were going with you. Instead, I am going to Nepal for five weeks in March to teach lifesaving skills for childbirth to village women - very exciting, too!
    You need a few words of Moroccan dialect to get started; salaam aleicum (peace be with you, good for hello or goodybye), l'hamdu'llah (thanks be to god), baraka la ufik (bless you). La baisse? (How are you?) This should suffice. French or English for everything else.
    I will follow your blog with interest! Love, Cousin Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you are having an amazing experience in Morocco. I e-mailed this link to the entire Honors College membership so everyone can "visit" you and share in all your adventures. Looking forward to amazing photographs and tales of all you learn.

    ReplyDelete