Sunday, May 15, 2011

Tangiers and Tétouan: Beaches and Banana Juice

Last weekend, we headed north to Tangiers and Tetouan. It was our last weekend of travel in Morocco :(. We left on Friday afternoon and caught the train to Tangiers, where we spent Friday night. The trip was a little more exciting for Rebecca and me, because we finally had a chance to use our Spanish! Sometimes, the train gets a little dull, but we always find ways to fill the time...


Like drawing tattoos on each other's toes...


Or hanging from the luggage rails...


We found a fresh juice stand after dinner, where we got watermelon juice. The banana, avocado and strawberry juices were delicious too!


The next morning, we got up and wandered around town. The picture below is the view from our hotel window. 



The beach in Tangiers was gorgeous!




We got a taxi to Tetouan in the afternoon. 


We wandered around the Old Medina for a while after arriving. The picture below is my favorite from the trip! We decided to visit a hammam before leaving Tangiers. I've gotten mixed reviews, but figured it was worth a try. One thing I did hear was that the women scrub your skin incredibly hard. So, I bought a softer sponge. Rebecca and I headed into a hazy room filled with staring, naked Moroccan women. She glanced around and said, "I'm pretty sure this is what Hell is like." Then, as all of the other women watched, we lost a solid layer of skin. Unfortunately, the lady scrubbing me chose the course sponge instead of the one I bought. It wasn't terrible, but I'm not really sure laying face down and being scrubbed with a Brillo pad is something I'd be down to do again...


That evening, the power in our hotel went out. We spent a couple of hours chatting with other guests in the hotel, which included a French couple, a Venezuelan man, a woman from Madagascar, and a couple of Moroccans. The conversation was interesting and there seemed to be a consensus that Obama is a good president. The Venezuelan man kept comparing Obama to Bush, which was pretty entertaining. One of the Moroccans played his American music for us, which consisted mainly of Akon songs. As we drank mint tea in the dark, I couldn't help but think of how much I am going to miss Morocco.


I saw these outfits in one of the markets. Honestly, I think all men should wear similar attire...


One of my more exciting purchases of the trip was a Goosebumps book in Spanish! "La Noche de Muneco Viviente" looks pretty promising! :) 


Garrett asking a local for directions to the beach...


After a short taxi ride, we arrived in a beach town about 45 minutes outside of Tetouan.



I've never seen a flower like this- so pretty! :) 



We relaxed on the beach and looked at/ swam in the Mediterranean. I was a little wiser with the sunscreen this time, and only got burnt on my scalp.



Ty bought a magnetic chess set that he and Garrett used on the way back!


Although I'm sad that my time here is coming to a close, our last weekend of traveling was really nice and relaxing. We have been fortunate enough to travel almost every weekend we have been here. To say the least, it's been incredible and I feel so blessed to be here!

No comments:

Post a Comment