Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Asilah: Fallen Flip-Flops and Fried Legs

Last weekend, I visited Asilah, a coastal town in Northern Morocco. We headed to Meknes on Friday afternoon and took the train from there. On the train, the man behind me continually moved his hand onto the windowsill beside me and also grabbed my arm. It was lovely. The second photo pretty much sums up my sentiments...



On Saturday, we headed to the beach. On our way, we found some kittens on the side of the sidewalk. They were so tiny!


Ty, who is obsessed with cats, enjoyed the encounter.


We had to ride a horse drawn cart, which was fine for the most part, but a little bumpy. There were eight of us on one cart, so we were a little worried about falling off. I managed to lose my flip-flop during the ride, but found a lovely match on the beach. Unfortunately, there were bugs in it...The beach was beautiful! 





Once we arrived, we ate breakfast and relaxed on the beach. Unfortunately, I fell asleep. It would've been fine, but I forgot to put more sunscreen on, and my legs got VERY sunburnt. I didn't know the extent of the burn at the time, but it is quite unpleasant now...


The horse that led our cart was named Carlos. According to the driver, "He is very smart. I tell him Asilah and he goes!"


He enjoyed rolling around in the sand too! I've never seen a horse do that..haha


One of the other exchange students, Mike, who also fell asleep on the beach, has second degree burns. The back of my knees are fried. I still can't walk normally and stairs are a challenge. This is by far the worse sunburn I've ever had. Unfortunately, most Moroccans don't burn easily, so they don't worry about things like aloe, which would be nice to have. Last night, with the advice from a few other students, I covered my legs in yogurt. 





After the beach, we cooked dinner in our apartment. Annie cooked a veggie tagine, which was awesome! We also had fresh sole. Since Asilah is a beach town, there is a lot of fresh sea food! One of the foods I miss the most from home is fish. Overall (aside from the burn), I really liked Asilah. This weekend, we are heading to Chefchaoen. More pictures and blogs to come! 

No comments:

Post a Comment