Thursday, April 21, 2011

A few things I miss...

So, I do love Morocco, but there are a few things I've come to miss. When Rebecca and I were riding the train back from Asilah, we had a pretty lengthy discussion about the things we miss most from home. It was about 105 degrees, so we decided to torture ourselves by talking about all the things we can't have.

1. SPICE. I was under the impression that Moroccan food would be spicy. I was mistaken. To remedy this situation, I have accumulated a stockpile of hot sauce.


2. Large coffee cups. The first time I ordered coffee at AUI, I couldn't believe the size of the coffee cups.  They are (at most) about half the size of a normal mug. Also, I miss strong coffee.


3. Toilet paper. All of the exchange students learned the hard way that toilet paper is sparse in this country. Most of us carry our own roll, just in case.


4. Mixed gender dorms. Most of the exchange students have decided that we may have chosen the campus least conducive to any form of romance.


5. Salad. The Moroccan version of a salad does usually contain some kind of vegetable, but I have yet to see large quantities of lettuce. Those found at AUI sometimes have noodles and sardines. Not a fan. 


6. Being able to use my electronics without causing an explosion. When I plugged my hair dryer in on my first day in Morocco, it started smoking. Then a few weeks ago, my hair straightener (which I got from the OIP office here) caught on fire. Also, there are often sparks when I plug in my computer charger.


7. JACK. I've seen him a couple of times via Skype, but it just isn't the same. I miss my puppy!


8. My Dad's cooking (and general dinner time entertainment). This should probably be at the top, but I just remembered it. Especially his salmon.  


Other common yearnings among the exchange group included Mexican food, peanut butter and cafeteria food with flavor! 

No comments:

Post a Comment