Monday, April 18, 2011

Chefchaouen: Bruises and Blueness

Last weekend, I went to Chefchaouen, a city in northwest Morocco. Chefchaouen is known for the blue color that covers most buildings and houses. Another well known fact about the town is that is one of main producers of hashish in Morocco.We rented cars, which went well for the most part (aside from a flat tire and lots of stalling).  We arrived around 10 PM and grabbed dinner. The apartment we stayed in was nice and cheap (85 dirhams, or around $10 per person, for two nights).




On Saturday, we headed to Akchour, a small village near Chefchaouen, to hike. We got a guide, which was definitely a wise decision. We never would have found the waterfall without him! On our hike, our guide pointed out hashish growing on the side of the trail. The hike was gorgeous, but my clumsiness made it a little more difficult. By the end, I managed to skin both of my knees. The combination of sunburnt, peeling skin on the back and scratches/ bruises on the front of my legs is quite attractive.  Luckily, a couple of people had Band-Aids.


There were a few smaller waterfalls on our way.


The lenses in the fake Ray Bans I bought in Marrakech fell out, so Garrett put them to use. Fortunately, I only paid $5 for them. Model material, for sure.


We had to cross twelve streams to get to the waterfall. Our guide told us to drink the water and noted that much of Morocco's water comes from Akchour. 


Our guide was really helpful when we crossed the steams. I'm pretty sure I would've been fully submerged without his guidance. At first, we tried not to get wet. Then we realized there was no point. Most of our shoes were pretty disgusting after the hike.


After about three hours, we made it to the waterfall. It was so beautiful! A couple of the guys jumped into the main pool of water in front of the waterfall. Rebecca and I swam in a smaller pool behind some rocks. It was absolutely freezing, but also refreshing! I can now cross swimming in a waterfall in Morocco off of my bucket list :) It was a little chilly walking back in wet clothes, but the return voyage went much faster. 



After returning to Chefchaouen, we changed clothes and grabbed dinner. I wish I could've seen more of the town in the daylight. It was so pretty!



After dinner, I tried snails. They tasted decent, but the consistency was a little off for me. Also, I don't enjoy seeing the face of my food...


We wandered around the shops in the old medina for a while, before returning to our apartment.


Some of the doors were a tad petite...







We looked for harem pants in the old medina and finally found some outside in a square. Unfortunately, the shop owners weren't very cooperative with our bargaining tactics. I got the price down a little bit, but not much. Some of the guys had similar troubles with soccer jerseys.



This is the view of Chefchaoen from the road on the way out of town!




No comments:

Post a Comment